Friday, September 21, 2007

HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF


UBOI HAS BEEN ADMITTED AGAIN.

When we picked him up on last friday, he was already whezzing and felt alittle warm. True enough, the thermometer was showing 38 degrees. I took a second temperature showing the same. Without hesitation, we puffed him, packed some stuffs and off to KKH A&E!

Its the same procedures - registration => red door => consultation => puff => rest => review.

Must history repeats?

After staying for almost 2hrs of observation, that d*rn Medical Officer claimed that there was no more whezz and discharged us. I rebutted that he still looked bad and whezzing (uboi was obviously still panting). He replied its was the phlegm not whezz... Gave him the benefit of doubt but I nagged all the way home.

uboi's condition did not improved by morning, so we brought him back to A&E again!

Like history, a different Medical Officer was assigned and he had to do the suction of phlegm. In addition, an X-ray too. I was reluctant, fear that it might be too harsh on my 10mths old darling. But the test was necessary to ascertain the possibility of pneumonia. Luckily the result was negative.


Even with an oxygen level of 87 (the normal is 95-100), the Medical Officer still did not grant uboi admission but rather empowered us with the decision. So we chose to admit.

While waiting for a bed, I was given a feedback form to complete. Wa.. just what I need! I immediately related my 2 visits to A&E ended up with recurring returns within 24hrs before granting an admission. Indicating my doubts on the capabilities of the Medical Officers whom discharged us even when the condition was not improved. I even left my name & contact number!

By the 2nd day, uboi's whezz were already lessen, were expecting discharged on Monday but uboi surprised us with vomitting. He puked almost every feed, just when the vomitting improved, came the diarrhea! Fear of dehydration, doctors advised uboi to be on drip. OMG!! The thought of it already pains me.... I rejected and promised to keep him hydrated. We tried to to supplement him with water, glucose and hydrolite but he rejected all.

The final solution - I had to breastfeed him every alternate hour.


This stay seemed longer than expected. We witnessed 3 batches of neighbouring beds being admitted and discharged....but no chance for us! We are already friends with the ward nurses & cleaners. Sometimes, they would even popped by to play with this 'lil active sick boy.

During this stay, members from the Asthma Association of Singapore visited uboi and assessed his condition. We were explained that infants are usually diagnosed as bronchiolitis rather than asthma but in uboi's case,
1. both parents are asthmatic
2. repeating 3rd whezz in 1 year
3. responsive to ventolin
they have to dignose him as
INFANTILE ASTHMATIC



Although we hope for the better, we also foresee and prepared ourselves for more attacks and admissions in the future at least for the 1st 5years of uboi childhood.....
**sob sob**

4 comments:

virgoinvenus said...

Oh dear, is uboi ok liao? poor lil cute darling, he still look so handsome while he so unwell..

u must be v tired...
paiseh liao, now v late, cant sms u..tmr sms u again... shd hv informed us...
SO everytin fine liao?

ahGoGo said...

Thanks, he's ok now but still on medications.
Really v tired....like zombie walking ard lor.

jaynshar said...

aiyo.uboi hw cum suddenly so jat lat..somemore gt diahorrea..chiam leh..
Hope he will recover soon.

ahGoGo said...

v ke lian lor. heng better. otherwise doc dun wan to discharge him n wan to put him on drip ya...