Sunday, June 29, 2008

Roseola uboi

26 Jun08 (Thurs)
At 2.45pm, I was about to leave for a meeting @ Benoi Office, received a call from nanny that uboi was feverish. Car was with upapa & he was also unable to leave yet.

Got worried, nanny said his temperature hit 39.8degree in the afternoon, although he had no appetite, he was still happily active. So I asked nanny to give him panadol first while we made arrangements to pick him up. He never had such high fever. Or I should say, his last fever was when he was 5mths old.

I shortened the meeting and requested to leave early, but it was already about 4.30pm. Together with upapa, we picked uboi up. With the last dose at 3pm, his temperature was under control. But that meant the next dose must be given by 7pm and he needed to see a PD before 7pm. We were deciding where to bring him for consultation, because most clinics are closed at that hour. uboi's usual PD is not opened till 7.30pm and appointments are required.

We decided KKH - Walk in clinic. It was near peak hour, traffic was getting heavy... Finally, we reached and realised the clinic was also closed! The nurses asked us to go A&E instead. I was reluctant. I dragged the waiting time at A&E, moreover uboi's condition still do not warrant an A&E consultation. So we headed to Baby N Kids Specialist Clinic instead, which opens at 6.30pm.
PD diagnosed as Gingivitis. Thinking back, no wonder uboi has been complaining of pain in his mouth recently. I brushed it aside, thinking he's just probably teething. But then again, I do not find his gums red and sore as mentioned. On second thoughts, I thought would be it infection from the chipped tooth from the fall.... (Ooopss I forgotten to post of his chipped tooth). In total, the consultation and the medications cost me a total of S$186!

27 Jun08 (Fri)
Took urgent leave to look after uboi. He's temperature was dependent on panadol. If panadol is not given every 4hourly, the fever would returned. But luckily, uboi was still active and playing, just that he had no appetite for solid, only wanted his milk. Even then, milk intake was diluted & reduced.

By the evening, his fever was more controlled. I managed to drag his panadol feed to 6hourly. But rashes started to appear on his body...

28 Jun08 (Sat)
Fever was gone by afternoon! But more rashes appeared everywhere. .... face, neck, tighs, body, back, head.... everywhere.

The rashes did not seem to bother uboi. He was not scratching at all, it did not seem to be itchy.

Anyway,w e decided to bring to back to his usual PD (Dr Yvonne's Clinic for Children & Babies) the next morning.

29 Jun08 (Sun)
After cross examination and hearing the diagnosis from my previous PD visit on Thurs evening, Dr Yvonne disagreed it was gingivitis. Instead she explained to me that uboi was having Roseola, also known as "Fake Measles".

Apparently, PD advised that for Roseola, the fever would subsided on its own by the 3rd day. for rashes, no orals or cream is necessary because it would also be gone within days.

I read up from the internet, truely, the symptons are exactly what uboi went through. His fever went away surprisingly on its own on the 3rd day, shortly the rashes too...

After this incident, my confidence in Dr Yvonne was raised again. Together with her consultations, we managed to prevent 2 hospital admissions for uboi's asthma attacks.

Thank You....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya...da had that a few months back too.
dont worry. :)

jedamum

ahGoGo said...

oh..really?
but at least now i learnt sometime new..