Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hit by Unemployment Wave

Throughout my 6mths contract, I have consistently wanted to resign as the comittment level of this job is not justifiable to my 4days-work-week contract. But I stayed on due to 1) the current poor market, 2) too busy to look for another job and 3) commitment to my friend whom asked me back to help.

My contract supposed to end in early Feb09. Since late Dec08, I have been reminding my agent to follow up with my superior. She did but my superior was too busy to reply. I was pretty sure my position was required. Just a matter if the company wanted to continue my service.

I was getting impatient with the wait and took the initiative to approch my superior directly in mid Jan09. She asked if I'm keen to extend and I expressed this job demand was not what I was initially told... on the other hand, I was trying to convince myself; in this economic crisis, better stay on to this job if offered.

After her discussion with management, my superior walked up to me just the week of CNY and said they are not renewing my contract. Claiming that my contract was not renewalable in first place and understand my difficulties to juggle current job with my family comittments. And my last day would be in 2wks time. Meaning the week after returning from CNY holidays. My current duties would be taken back to 1 of the existing staff.

Following hours, my mind was in whirl, having mixed feelings. Am I happy or sad or angry? Happy that I do not need to work here anymore. Sad that I felt "SACKED". Angry that the notice was so short. Appointment letter indicated "...any termination or resignation requires 1 month notice..." then why am I only given 2wks notice?!

In any case, I took it in my stride. Cleared all tasks and outstanding, handover as appropriate. So here I am now ... scouting for another job. Please join me in my prayers that my next job is not another "Pirate Ship" for me.
**cross fingers** **cross toes**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ubabe ah.. cannot see ur pirate ship!

meanwhile dun worry, u are always in my prayers :D