Monday, August 27, 2007

Stay in KKH - 1st Attack of Bronchiolitis





On 10 Jun(Sun), uboi was already coughing slightly on our way to Motherhood Fair. Nothing much as claimed by the rest, we left shortly and headed to Babe's West Wing. On our way, uboi was getting grouchy and cough started to get bad. Breastfed him in the car, but he puked right upon we reached. He was crying almost throughout, so we kept the stay short. Headed straight home without dinner.

Back home, the cough got worse, uboi drank and vomitted again. We fed him some cough medicine. After much pacifying, finally slept around 8pm. Thought he might sleep through mid-night as he had no afternoon nap that day. Unexpectedly, he woke up about 10pm crying. Breastfed him - Vomitted Again. Crying sage started and lasted almost 1hour. The cough still did not get any better, instead he looked very uncomfortable and alittle breathless. Drank alittle again, slept and woke up near mid-night. This time round, we could even hear his whezz! upapa asked me to pack his stuffs and we rushed to KKH A&E.

uboi sat on upapa's lap awaiting for hood adrenaline. upapa was told to hold uboi's hands & legs to prevent him from struggling, while I was to grab his chin and force the mask on him! His screams & cries may be piercing to others' ears but they pierced through my heart.... I felt my heart bled as his tears rolled.

I could not forget the way he looked at me. They seemed to talk. upapa agreed too. We thought we heard "....Mummy...Mummy...Please Help Me... Save Me.. Mummy..Please......."from his eyes!

I felt terrible. It feels as if I was stopping him from breathing, taking his life away.

We stayed almost 2hrs of observation. When uboi woked up from his nap, we were allowed discharged. Neither did the doctor provide me with any assurance nor was I confident in him. Reached home past 5am.

When we fed uboi medicine around 8am, he vomitted again. Still looked uncomfortable and grouchy, we decided to bring him back to A&E. It was past 11am then. This time round, another doctor checked on him and decided to admit him.

Meanwhile, the doctor instructed for the phlegm to be drawn out via tube. Before the procedure, the nurse explained to me the tube would be inserted through the nose and may cause some abrasion thus bleeding. Upon hearing, my tears already filled up the well. Then we were asked to wait outside while the procedure would be done behind curtains. Shortly, uboi's cries can already be heard from the end of the corridor. My sob were unstoppable too. Luckily, upapa was there.... comforting me. Once the curtains were drawn, I rushed in to carry up uboi. Gave him a strong hug that could not let go. He was still sniffing in his cries and mucus.

So heartbreaking!

Finally, uboi was responsive towards ventolin. Was advised to be administered every 2hours. How? Hood would be ineffective for him so doctor suggested through a box covering his head and a hole for ventolin to be put in.

When the box came, my heart soften. How would my active uboi tolerate a box to cover his head, enclosure his breathing space?! Of course, he struggled! Every 2hours was a struggled, unless he was asleep. Due to his constant vomitting, uboi was almost dehydrated. His lips were red, diapers were clean. Luckily he responsed well and milk intake resumed. Otherwise the next procedure would have been on drip!

We kept the admission from both grandparents. Knowing that they would rushed down and I wanted uboi to rest well. We informed them only on the 2nd day.

Came night time, the nurse brought another machine and strapped a cable to uboi's toe. Nothing was explained to us but were just told that it was to track his respiratory level. In the middle of the night, I was awakening in shocked by the loud beeping sound from the machine. It sounded the same as what I heard minutes before Grandpa had his last breathe... I panicked! Ran out to call for a nurse.

The nurse took a look and then adjusted the cable and looked at uboi and said "..oh his breathing dropped.."

Wa... MY HEART ALMOST STOPPED! I replied "... so what?? that means what????"

Then she went on " ... cannot go below 100. (machine was showing 91 - 92) sometimes its like this, if baby moved, cable loose or the sleeping position..."

Phew... I found my breathe and adjusted uboi into a better position and true enough the beeping stopped.

The next morning, I checked with Dr Fabian Yap regarding the beeping sound. He explained in addition to the reasons by the nurse, our breathing tend to drop alittle during sleeps too, which cause the machine to sound off if it falls below the norm of 100.

By now, uboi was up with his smiley n active self again. He was no longer struggling with the box over his head. Was smiling and playing with us through the box. He's definitely my STRONG BOY!!

Dr Fabian Yap also commented uboi is pretty active. His remarks "... Looks like he's (uboi) happily whezzing..."

By mid of 3rd day, ventolin was administered only every 4hrs. That's an improvement! Although we were allowed discharged on the same evening, we decided to stay 1more day to ensure all was fine before leaving.

That dated his stay from 11 Jun(Mon) - 14 Jun(Thurs) 2007.

Throughout the stay, I must say that uboi was still pretty active and definitely a strong and adaptable boy. He brought smiles and laughters to the nurses and cleaners. Being a kaypo and curious boy, always more interested beyond his bed, I have to bring him around the ward. Somtimes, I had to sit in front of the nurse station while he watched them work...

Glad that now everything was fine. Upon our discharged we were given briefing on how to handle children with asthma. Although both upapa & I WERE sufferers of asthma, it still served as a refresher on DOs & DONs for uboi.

Sadly to say, he is now an official member of the asmtha team.

No comments: